Monday, March 24, 2014

Thing 8 Comic and Book Creation


Comic Maker: Making a Lava Lamp



This is just a short comic strip used to explain how to make a lava lamp. As I was using Comic Maker it occurred to me that there were a number of ways a teacher could incorporate this into a lesson.  Within the SAMR framework augmentation, modification, and redefinition apply. Completely moving away from the standard methods of text books, paper, and pencil, using the iPad moves students into much higher order thinking and takes them way beyond just using the note pad. Students can work on making comics of their own to explain something or even teach a new idea to another student. Teachers can introduce the app and then allow students to explore and take it where they would like to go. It gives options to use ones imagination as students and teachers can use different media within the same app. I liked the ability to use my own photos or even take photos when needed. I think students would like that option as well. Even though I have first graders this app would work.  For reading month our theme included super heroes and my students used Comic Creator on the lap tops to make comic strips of their own. I will now download this app for the iPads giving them another option to use for their comic strips.


How We Use iPads in the First Grade




 Book Creator
I introduced my students to Book Creator this year. After break my students are going to go through their writing folders and decide on stories they want to use to put together in a book. I am hoping that they can come up with stories that allow them to use pictures either photographs or ones they draw. We have done a lot of writing so it shouldn't be hard to pick a few.

 I used Book Creator to create a how to book. I used this book at the beginning of the year to introduce my students to the ipads. Having first grade is a challenge but I think they have come a long way and have learned a lot of cool things in technology. I will keep teaching them even more and hope they will get an opportunity to use their skills in the upper grades. Now that I know the SAMR model I realize just how much I have been using it. Redefinition and modification are the two areas I strive for. Students need to learn that the ipad is a tool. I want them to use it to learn not after they finish some other paper pencil assignment. I want the ipad and or laptops to be the tool they use for the assignment!

No comments:

Post a Comment