Monday, March 24, 2014

Thing 9 iBooks




My iBook Collection. I have many more at school on our iPad carts. I really like the free ones for my students who struggle with reading. If a book doesn't have audio my students use the speak feature on the iPad. They select the text and then tap speak. It is a wonderful feature and my low students have learned a lot from listening to books.





 Project Gutenberg


PDF to iBooks





I have been using iPads in my classroom for 3 years. In that time I have downloaded books and pdf files. I had not heard of Project Gutenberg and now will look for ways to use it in my classroom. I like the ability to use the eReader feature of the ipad. Our curriculum is digital based with a copies of our reading series on line. My students can log in and use the ipad to read the selection of the week. The best part is it has an audio feature allowing my below level readers to listen and read a long. Of course having the text book is important too so students can read it as well. I like the highlight feature because I can highlight high frequency words for my students. I also like the define feature because students have a better understanding of what they read when they understand the words.  Using traditional text books is important for students who have the ability to read and follow along. Students need to become strong readers and if they have the option to listen I think they get a little lazy and don't pay attention to what the story is about and they fail to comprehend. So both eReaders and traditional books have an important purpose in my first grade classroom.  I have also used the PDF feature to download work sheets and test to use with my students. The latest PDF I added were our I CAN statements for Common Core. I like having them on my ipad so I can easily access them at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment