Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thing 14 Universal Design

I have taught 2nd, 3rd, and now 1st grade and it is nice that there are apps like Dragon Dictation to use in the classroom. When I taught special education this type of tool was just coming out and it was on the computer and boy was it hard to figure out. I downloaded Natural Reader to our computers and my low readers would highlight and listen. It was hard for some to highlight but it eventually became easier. Using the iPad is easier. With just a touch and hold the word or words get highlighted and the student can tap speak. My 1st graders have used this feature to read worksheets and sentences on other websites I have sent them too.

Guided access is another great feature to limit where a student can go within an app. I have students who like to avoid work and spend time where they shouldn't be. It is nice to have the ability to guide where they go. I also like the lock feature using a pass code to keep them only in the app I assign. Students are unable to search around and try other apps when I am not looking. It is a nice surprise to them when they get locked out after trying to leave the app several times. This feature has a tendency to stop the messing around during instruction once they know they will get caught!

No comments:

Post a Comment